Sunday, May 29, 2011

"With every mistake"

To quote the line from a Beatles tune "with every mistake we must surely be learning". After my ballerina fiasco (which I shall return to) I realized I needed to learn more about glazing and layering. This next endeavor was just an experiment. I started with no real direction and looked at a blue board for 2 days before adding any more paint. What do you do with a blue board? Make a sky.
         I bought some Liquin (origional) after seeing it used on youtube. I had some blue paint on the palette and decided to see how it felt under the brush. I liked it. I let it dry and decided to try a pre dawn sky. Probably beyond my ability level at this point, but If you don't try you'll never get there. The paints I am using are the cheapest things I could find. Can't really afford to experiment with artist quality paints. When my ability reaches artist quality then maybe I will spring for better stuff. This is on a 8x6 Canvass board. This first one is where I just added some cloud shapes. I also darkened the sky at the top. The bottom of the canvass shows the color that covered the entire board.





 I let that dry overnight and wend back in with some purple pink and yellow so thin you could hardly see it after it dried but you can still see some shape defined.
I also tried to lighten where the sun would be below the horizon. I let that dry overnight again and went back in with some more pink, lavenderish purple and whiteish pink and got to here.
I am still over blending but all in all I am seeing the effect I am looking for. I had to do something about that straight line on top of the bottom cloud. It's still wet here, we'll see how it looks dry.
     As far as the Liquin goes I like it. It allows you to paint wet on wet if you like and it dries in 24 hours (at least for me). It allows you to go back in after a short time and add color without the fear of blending and changing colors on the canvass. It also stretches how far your paint goes which is another plus if you have a limited budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment