Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Angels of Mercy

That is the only way I can describe them. I am talking about the people at the Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center. Yesterday  I decided to stop again at the pond by The Old Mill at Watermill in the Hamptons hoping to spot more Ospreys or an Egret or Blue Heron. I almost didn't go but at the last minute I decided what the heck, it's a nice morning. To my surprise there were 4 Egrets which I will post pictures of in a later post. I also spotted what I thought was a Blue Heron further away. After taking some shots of the Egrets I noticed that something didn't look right with the Heron. Then as if to point out the bird was in trouble one of the Egrets flew over to where he was and perched.
I kept watching through the zoom lens and realized the bird had a tangled wing and was caught in the branches above the water and away from the shoreline. Sadly, my eyes are not what they used to be and to the unaided eye, this bird could have easily been mistaken for a plastic bag caught on the branch. I started observing him through the zoom lens to get a better perspective.
When he tried to free himself however there was no doubt that this was a bird in distress. I put down the camera and picked up my smart phone and did a search for wildlife rescue and it brought me to the Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center which had a 24 hour hotline. I made the call and was called back literally within 2 minutes. That was at 7:10 am. When I broke for lunch at 12:45 I called to check on the status of the bird. It turns out it was a Black Crowned Night Heron. A nocturnal bird that I had never seen before or heard of. I thought it may have been an Osprey as it was too small to be a Blue Heron. It was not only rescued but treated and being cared for by these angels of mercy. It turns out the bird got tangled in some fishing line which got it snared on the branches. He had to be suchered and was thin. He was listed as stable but in critical condition. I hope this little guy makes a full recovery.

WHY? Why do people act like slobs in public places? I did some metal detecting at local beaches last year and could not believe the garbage left on our beaches. It absolutely disgusted me and reminded me why I stopped going to the beach. There is a load of garbage on the opposite side of this lake by the roadway. Is it really that important to keep your car clean that you think it's okay to trash a pristine and beautiful ecosystem like this? PEOPLE, THINK ABOUT YOUR ACTIONS!!! If you want to be an irresponsible slob, do it at home. I don't enjoy looking at your refuse and I really don't enjoy seeing birds and other wildlife pay the price for your laziness. Oh yeah, I fish too (catch and release only) but don't leave garbage and tangles of fishing line behind.

I can't praise the people at this wildlife center enough. It was not an easy resue to execute. GREAT JOB!!!!

Update 4/5/13 I stopped by center to see the bird and got an impromptu tour of the small yet impressive facility. The bird was not eating and seamed angry about his temporary captivity. That was in the afternoon on 4/3/13. I called today (4/5/13) and the bird was eating and gaining weight and doing well. They are doing some great work at this center. I can't praise them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment