Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bridgehampton and Sagg Swamp Nature Preserve

I decided to skip the time lapse work and take a trip to the  Sagg Swamp Nature Preserve. I heard about it on a local radio show and wanted to check it out. On the way I saw this gnarly old tree on Ocean Ave. I think it's an Elm. It's huge in diameter and probably predates the town of Bridgehampton itself. Compare it to the sidewalk to the left in the photo.
I continued on to the preserve and as I was pulling up, 3 deer ran across the road into the preserve. I saw 2 more in the woods waiting to come across and were checking me out. I had the camera in hand but wanted the zoom lense. As I was fumbling with the lens they scampered across the road. I could swear one of them flipped me the bird. I tried to track them only for a picture but they were too sharp for me and the brush was extremely thick off the trail which I would not venture from. I did get some interesting shots though and want to return when it's a little warmer.
This is outside the preserve where it empties out into a bay.

This is the other side inside the preserve. I didn't even see the duck until I blew up the picture to full size on the monitor.

This is part of a greenbelt that extends all the way to Sag Harbor. According to the radio broadcast, it's one of several swamps formed by the glaciers in the ice age when they receded. It's a beautiful place, I cant wait to see it in the spring when there are leaves on the trees and the birds are back to nest.
       This next shot is of a huge Rodedendrun hedge that is at least 15 feet high. I was lucky enough to see this in the height of it's bloom last summer. I want to capture it with the camera this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment